Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Love, Acceptance & Forgiveness: Enough Said!


I read Jerry Cook's book, Love, Acceptance and Forgiveness, approximately 7 years ago because my pastor at the time, Jim Bolin, often referenced the book and I was so overwealmed by my pastor's love, acceptance and forgiveness of people.

Almost every week, he would so geniunely teach at the pulpit that we not judge each other because: "you don't know where she comes from or what God's doing in him." He would entice on a regular basis, "If you come around here, we're going to love you. No matter who you are, what you've done or how you look, smell or behave, we're going to love you." And he would explicitly demand, "We're going to love and accept people, and if you don't want to love people, you're in the wrong place. This church is going to love people." It didn't take me far in my reading to realize that my humble pastor was almost directly quoting Jerry Cook.

I came across the book again last week and heard he wrote its second edition last year. So I picked it up again and am flying through it. There are probably more sentences underlined and highlighted than not. And if I were to include a quote of every line I loved, I would probably end up typing out the entire book.

I highly recommend this book! Look out for an update of this blog entry for more quotes to follow.

0 comments: